Information About Synthetic Cannibinoids
What Are Synthetic Cannabinoids?
- Synthetic cannabinoids refer to a growing number of human-made, mind-altering chemicals sprayed on dried, shredded plant material, or vaporized to produce a high.
- Sometimes they are misleadingly called “synthetic marijuana” (or “fake weed) because they act on the same brain cell receptors as THC, the mind-altering ingredient in marijuana.
- The effects can be unpredictable and severe, even life-threatening
- The only parts of synthetic cannabinoids products that are “natural” are the dried plant materials. Chemical tests show that their active ingredients are human-made cannabinoid compounds.
Effects of Synthetic Cannibinoid Use
- Continued synthetic cannabinoid use can lead to severe mental and physical health problems, including:
- Rapid heart rate
- Violent behavior
- Suicidal thoughts