Information About E-Cigarettes
Alternate Names for E-CIgarettes
- E-cigs, E-hookahs, vape pens, vapes, tank systems, mods
Greater exposure to e-cigarette ads is associated with higher odds of youth e-cigarette use. Most e-cigarettes contain nicotine, which can cause addiction, may harm brain development, and could lead to continued tobacco product use among youth.
What to Know About E-Cigarettes
- The use of e-cigarettes is unsafe for kids, teens, and young adults.
- Most e-cigarettes contain nicotine. Nicotine is highly addictive and can harm adolescent brain development, which continues into the early to mid-20s.
- E-cigarettes can contain other harmful substances besides nicotine.
- Young people who use e-cigarettes may be more likely to smoke cigarettes in the future.
How Can I Prevent or Help Stop My Child from Using E-Cigarettes?
- Set a good example by being tobacco-free. If you use tobacco, it’s never too late to quit. For free help, visit https://smokefree.gov/, or call 1-800-QUIT-NOW.
- Talk to your child or teen about why e-cigarettes are harmful for them. It’s never too late.
- Let your child know that you want them to stay away from all tobacco products, including e-cigarettes, because they are not safe for them. Seek help and get involved.